Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pony regression, Pony progress

A few months ago PG had a spook that rattled her to the core. She has fallen off her pony more times than I can count, but this one was different.   We aren't sure what happened, but her pony took off at a butt scooting canter and jumped a vertical before she could get the stirrups in and it really scared her (even though she didn't fall).

After many many weeks of her swearing off riding, her trainer and I came up with a plan.  PG loves horses way too much to just give up...and I am so glad we didn't.  

We started by just doing a walk on a lead line again...no trotting.  For weeks we worked back up to trotting alone and jumping poles (only). I wasn't sure she would ever work her way back up to jumping.  She was just too scared.

Her trainer told me that one day it would just click....and it did.  Literally from one day to the next, PG was ready to go.

And the relapse has been so great for her.  She has moved ahead in her progress in ways I don't think she would have before.  She has more confidence, knows how to react better and can read her pony like the back of her hand.

And now... she is cantering cross rails and verticals like a pro.  I am so proud!!














No comments:

Post a Comment